We conclude that China Internet Financial Services Inc. (NASDAQ:CIFS) is a King Zero – just another worthless China fraud.
- We believe zero to almost none of CIFS’s purported business is real. PRC financials show that CIFS overstated its 2016 revenue by 5x.
- Every one of the purported borrowers to which CIFS disclosed having made loans (accounting for 84.2% of loan balances) appears to be a sham counterparty. (The purported borrowers of the remaining 15.8% of reported loan balances were not disclosed; however, we strongly suspect that most – if not all – of these loans and associated income are also fabrications.) Therefore, the associated loans, revenue, and profits appear to be completely fake.
- CIFS has disclosed doing business with two related parties, and even those loans and associated revenue appear to be fraudulent.
- CIFS’s recently announced “big data” company purchase also appears to be a lie. It is from sham counterparties, and therefore a fraudulent purchase of an empty box, rather than of a real or even promising company.
- 47.3% of CIFS’s reported 2016 net income purportedly was generated by its Kashgar subsidiary; however, that subsidiary existed for only two days in 2016. Further, Kashgar, accurately in our view, reported in its PRC financials zero revenue and income.
- CIFS is too good to be true – claiming to turn a seeming commoditized business model into an overnight juggernaut with purported gross margins over 97% and net margins over 70%. However, Chairman Lin seems to be an obscure and fairly unsuccessful businessman, which in our view makes him about number 450 million in line to pull off a business miracle like this. CIFS is therefore one of the most implausible – if not the most implausible – China fraud stories we have ever come across.
- CIFS’s corporate structure ensures that not only does Chairman Lin get to keep investors’ money, not have to worry about prison or any legal repercussions, but the ownership of his company is not the least bit at risk. In other words, this structure is the coup de grace of the numerous middle fingers he’s extending at U.S. investors.
The reports on this website have been prepared by Muddy Waters, LLC (d/b/a Muddy Waters Research, hereinafter “Muddy Waters Research”). We refer to Muddy Waters Research, collectively with its affiliates and related persons as “Muddy Waters” and each individually as a “Muddy Waters Entity”. All reports are for informational purposes only. Under no circumstances should any of these reports or any information herein be construed as investment advice, an offer to sell, or the solicitation of an offer to buy, any security or financial instrument.
Muddy Waters Research is an online research publication that produces due diligence-based reports on publicly traded securities. The reports are the property of Muddy Waters Research. This website is owned by Muddy Waters Research. The opinions, information, and reports set forth herein are solely attributable to Muddy Waters Research and are not attributable to any member, manager, officer, director, employee, member, client, client of an affiliate, investor, consultant, affiliate or agent thereof (collectively, such persons, the “Muddy Waters Related Persons”).
As of the publication time and date of each report, Muddy Waters Related Persons are SHORT the securities of the subject issuer (each, a “Covered Issuer”), unless otherwise stated in the report. Such person will likely realize significant gains if the prices of the Covered Issuer’s securities decline. Muddy Waters Related Persons intend to continue transacting in the securities of Covered Issuer for an indefinite period after the report’s publication date, and such Muddy Waters Related Person may be long, short, or neutral at any time thereafter regardless of their initial position and views as stated as of the time of first publication. No Muddy Waters Related Person has a duty to update you on our position in a Covered Issuer or whether we have a position in a Covered Issuer.
Each report on this website is opinion journalism. Muddy Waters Research is providing its journalistic opinions about issues of concern to the general public based on facts that are fully disclosed to the readers. To the best of our knowledge, all information contained herein is accurate and reliable and has been obtained from publicly available sources that we believe to be accurate and reliable. The information presented herein is “as is,” without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied. All expressions of opinion are subject to change without notice, and Muddy Waters Research is under any duty to update or supplement this presentation or any information or opinion herein.
Muddy Waters Research is an affiliate of and under common control with Muddy Waters Capital LLC, which is an investment adviser registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Muddy Waters Capital LLC and its relying advisers (collectively, Muddy Waters Capital”) does not render investment advice to anyone unless it has an investment adviser-client relationship with that person evidenced in writing. You understand and agree that Muddy Waters Capital does not have any investment advisory relationship with you or does not owe fiduciary duties to you. Giving investment advice requires knowledge of your financial situation, investment objectives, and risk tolerance, and Muddy Waters Capital has no such knowledge about you.
You agree that no Muddy Waters Related Person shall be liable for any claims, losses, costs, or damages of any kind, including direct, indirect, punitive, exemplary, incidental, special or consequential damages, arising out of or in any way connected with this presentation. This limitation of liability applies regardless of any negligence or gross negligence of any Muddy Waters Related Persons. You accept all risks in relying on the information and opinions in this presentation.